So, as I had mentioned in the last entry, I was going to elaborate a little more on my ideas, concerns, and progress for my adventure to my adventure to Ghana!
The Reason I Want to Go:
It all goes back to the original reason as to why I started this blog. In case you're just tuning in, the reason I started this blog was to inspire people to life their lives to the fullest, to do things that are out of their spheres of comfortability, to try, to experience, to love, to keep positive when things are tough or terribly sad, and hopefully so much more that maybe I didn't think about but has that effect on you. I want to go because life is worth living. I heard about this opportunity and knew I needed to do this for myself and for my mum. I want to go to Ghana and learn about a new culture.As well, I want to bring experiences back to teach, help, and inspire people back home. People may think that they can't learn anything new from a second or third world country, but I think there's much that people in a first world country can learn about simplicity, frugality, togetherness, etc.
The Cost Breakdown:
So as I had mentioned before, the total cost is going to be around $7000, which includes all of the accomodations of the 40 day trip, the tuition, the vaccinations, all of the activities and transportation, and, prospectively, what I will spend on food, souveneirs, and the like. As much as I would love for it to be cheaper, it's not... so I will manage and try to figure out how to earn the cost of the trip.
I want to buy a lot of people souveneirs. Every time someone goes on a trip, they bring me something back, and now I want to be that person. How cool would it be to get a souveneir from Africa?!
Ideas for Raising/Earning Money:
Here are some of the ideas I, and others, have come up with:
- I've become quite accustomed to taking in bottles for people (mostly for when I was raising money for mum), so I think I could do that quite easily. People also seem to like it when other people take bottles out for them, I've found!
- Donations and fundraisers. I am all for doing things for money, be it impressive, embarassing, whatever. I was thinking maybe by starting up a You Tube vlog, I could do videos of things that people request! .. Within reason, of course.
- AdSense: By promoting my blog and potential vlog, the more hits, the merrier! It may not be a lot that I make from this, but I think every little bit helps.
-Selling creations and things: I was thinking of maybe doing a bakesale, making jewelry, or those little beaded animals like I did with mum's fundraiser. I would love to learn how to crochet or knit, or even get back into doing commission artwork for people!
- Christmas: There's nothing I want more than this right now, so I was thinking if anyone wanted to get me a Christmas gift, it could be money to be put towards the cause.
- Working: I would really like to make money, fast. I don't know how I could do that, but if I can find something to do where I could make tips, that would work!
- Odd jobs: Things like babysitting, housesitting, shovelling snow, or whatever's necessary to get this done!
That's about all I thought of for now... but if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know!
Some Tricky Situations (HALP!):
Some of my concerns actually arose last night right before I fell asleep. Having really needed to sleep, this was quite inconvenient. I realized that if I do this, I'll be coming back near the end of June, and I would have to find a job for the 2 remaining months so that John doesn't have a tough time paying the bills. I thought that maybe I can apply to work at the Stampede for this year. I need to figure out when they do their interviews so that hopefully that will work out. It would be good pay for 10 days of work. I would be used to being outside, so that would be nice, too!
If that doesn't work out, I'm not sure what I'll do, but I may be able to find something. That's probably just my biggest worry. I want to save enough money to have rent for John while I'm gone as well...
Anyway... I may add to this later and link back in future posts. This is just a post to kind of get my ideas out there!