Friday, November 26, 2010

Luck, for me, is more often than not a [insert dollar amount] bill laying on the ground

I know this sounds incredibly loony (haha, it's a pun for Canadians), but I have this sixth sense or something for finding money. Occurrences like this usually happen when I least expect it or when I'm having a crappy day.

Today was one of the latter instances.

I needed to run some errands today: I needed to pay off an outstanding debt and do some banking for my new tenant, so I figured I would try to deposit some cheques into my mum's estate account while I was in the area. "The area" is on the opposite side of the city from where I live, sadly. With no car and an unreliable transit system, I knew I would need to make a day of it. So I left school early and prepared myself for the couple hours, at least, that I would spend on transit. Thankfully for me, I got a ride up to the first bank with my Aunty. This helped save some time. I did my banking at the first bank with relative ease, parted ways with my Aunty, and headed over to bank number 2.

Right before my stop on the bus, I noticed my baby sister was on that same bus. I visited with her for a bit, which instantly made my day. In fact, I'm blogging from her place as I type. She's due for her baby any time now. She had a false alarm today with some sort of fluid leakage... too bad, because I packed up my camera and everything in case I was called upon to be with her in the hospital.

Anyway, back to the original story.

I parted ways with my sister a few minutes later and headed to the second bank. I went hoping they could help me out without account information. Usually, they can look up names and stuff, so I didn't think it was a problem. I'm sure, judging from my sentence wording, you can figure out that it was, in fact, a problem. No matter-- I was kind of going off the hope they could work a miracle for me. Sadly, Scotiabank cannot. But... the branch looks really beautiful, so I can forgive them. I'm happy to visit the branch again for the sake of sitting in a comfy leather chair, free coffee, and TV (today, a hockey game was on, for instance).

So... feeling blah about my failure, I decided to go to the Safeway nearby, mostly to get a Earl Grey Tea Latte from Starbucks (breve, sugar-free vanilla, no foam, yum). I found a discount rack with cheap tea and green baking sprinkles, so I also picked those up. Two boxes of tea, two containers of sprinkles, a latte, and 9 dollars later, I was on my way to my sister's place. I went to text her when I noticed a $5 bill on the ground. Nice.

This always excites me, mostly because it happens so often. A rough estimate of my recent track record to date:
- Once, I found $15 in the sink at work. I really don't know.
- On a walk while I was following deer tracks, I found $3.26 by a puddle.
- On 2 different occasions last year, I found one $20 bill in the same ATM at the school. Sadly, this ATM was replaced with ones that don't have a little money chute where bills get stuck...
- On my way to the gym last year, I found a folded up $5 on the floor.
- Inside of the gym last year, beside the elliptical, I found $10.
- This year, I found a $5 on the floor in one of the buildings in my school.
- A couple weeks later, I found two $5 bills on the floor of the same building in my school.
- There was a $20 bill on the ground at the place I play ITG at frequently. I told the girl at the counter about it and said I would give $10 to her as a tip. Not long after I had said that, someone came up to me and said they had lost $20. I gave them the bill, and kept my promise to the girl at the counter.

...that's what I can remember. I'm honestly not sure what kind of funky horseshoe I have up my ass, but it's there and attracting money to me left, right, and center. I like to think that mum is looking out for me, because she knows I'm so poor.

Usually, I give more money away than I keep. I love trying to help people in more need than I am... but I try to do this only after I've paid my necessary bills and whatnot. Still... I think it's pretty neat that this happens to me!

Anyway, until next time!

3 comments:

Elisa Chappelle said...

Lucky girl, wish some of that would rub off on me!!!

Dawn Kirkpatrick said...

It's called good karma. You can never out-give good karma. :)

La Angel Caida said...

Well funny story... I found another $10 bill on the train platform on my way to meet John at Chinook Mall.

Seriously... I don't understand this at all!